Homemade Beef Pot Pie
Homemade beef pot pie is a great meal to serve on a cold day or any time you want something that really sticks to your ribs.
You can add extra zing to this recipe by adding 1 large chopped onion and mix in 1/3 cup of red wine with the gravy.
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14 oz.) can beef broth
- 3 large carrots, cubed
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 (9-inch) refrigerator pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, brown the pieces of meat on all sides.
- Pour in enough water to almost cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer meat until it falls apart easily (about 2 to 3 hours).
- Place meat in a large bowl.
- Slightly shred the meat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the beef broth, carrots and potatoes.
- Cook over medium high heat until almost tender (about 15 to 20 minutes).
- When the carrots and potatoes are done, transfer to a large mixing bowl and combine with the beef.
- Reserve the liquid in the saucepan.
- Mix the peas in with the vegetables and beef.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/3 cup of water and pour this into the reserved beef broth.
- Bring to a simmer while stirring constantly; reduce heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with one of the pie shells following package directions.
- Spoon the beef mixture into the pie crust.
- Pour the gravy on top.
- Cover with remaining pie crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.