Healthy Lunch Recipes
7 Low Calorie Lunch Recipes
Makes 4 Servings. Calories Per Serving: 286
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can beans
- 2 cups penne pasta
- salt to taste
- In a frying or saute pan heat the oil.
- Add onion and then cook until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and beans.
- Let simmer for 10 mins.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta.
- Cook until al dente then drain.
- Mix pasta with bean mixture, toss to coat.
Makes 4 servings. Calories Per Serving: 268
- 1/4 Cup Fat-free Thousand Island Dressing
- 8 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
- 8 oz. Low Sodium Turkey Breast
- 1/2 Cup Sauerkraut (rinsed and drained)
- 4 Slices Reduced Fat Swiss Cheese
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- Spread dressing on one side of each slice of bread.
- Stack sandwiches with turkey, sauerkraut and cheese.
- Spray a large pan with olive oil spray and cook 2 sandwiches over medium heat for 4 minutes per side.
- Make sure bread is toasted and cheese is melted then serve hot.
Makes 2 to 3 servings. Calories Per Serving: 353
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp each coriander, cinnamon and turmeric
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 cup canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2-3 large roti or wheat flour tortillas
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion; cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, sweet potato, garlic, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and turmeric.
- Cover and cook, stirring ever so often for 15 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Season with hot sauce.
- Stir in chick-peas and coconut milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring often, until chick-peas are heated through.
- Divide mixture between two roti shells.
- Roll to make a wrap.
Makes 4 Servings. Calories Per Serving: 208
- 1 bag Japanese buckwheat soba noodles
- 5 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp honey mustard
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 5 scallions
- Cook noodles according to package.
- In a large bowl whisk together next 6 ingredients to make dressing.
- Cook chicken until cooked through.
- Shred and add to peanut mixture.
- Add drained noodles, scallions and toss until combined.
Makes 4 Servings. Calories Per Serving: 199
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (3 1/2 ounces)chopped green chile peppers
- 1 can (14-19 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup instant rice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Heat a 2-quart pot coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, corn, and chile peppers.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the beans, rice, and cumin.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes.
Calories Per Serving: 367.8
- 1 toasted whole wheat pita
- 1/2 Cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 Cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/2 Cup grilled chicken breast
- 1/4 Cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Garlic and Oregano to taste
- Top 1 toasted whole wheat pita with tomatoes, mozzarella, grilled chicken breast, and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with minced garlic and oregano.
- Place under oven broiler until cheese bubbles.
Makes 4 Servings. Calories Per Serving: 194
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 zucchini
- 2 yellow squash
- 12 oz asparagus, trimmed
- 1 roasted red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cup lightly packed arugula, chopped
- 1 cup mixed baby greens
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- In a medium bowl, whisk first 4 ingredients to make the dressing.
- Gradually add oil while stirring fast.
- Heat barbecue or pan to medium high.
- Brush onion, zucchini, yellow squash, and asparagus with 1/2 of the
- Grill or saute vegetables until just cooked through, turning occasionally.
- Allow veggies cool slightly, then cut into small pieces and place in
- Add roasted bell pepper, arugula, and greens; toss with enough
dressing to coat.